Monday, May 6, 2013

Sharing Through Speaking and Training

"You teach best what you need to learn." - Richard Bach

For the longest time, I was in the dumps. I was having difficulty picking myself up.

I was depressed and continually thought about the worse that can happen. However, a very good friend of mine believed in me and encouraged me to take things one step at a time.

Try new things out and just go out and try new things. She advised me to go out of comfort zone and help other people.

At first, I was confused and did not know where to start. Fortunately, a friend from the Philippine Daily Inquirer called and asked me to give a talk helping job-seekers find a job.

It was then I thought about my situation and how I can help job-seekers feel good about themselves.

During the talk, I felt that was getting my self-confidence back.

When I saw job-seekers listening and nodding their heads, I knew that I was getting through to them. I knew that the words I am saying meant so much to them.

My talk was divided into three parts. As it was meant to help job-seekers, I wanted my talk to be simple yet relate-able. I compared job-searching to going on a blind date.
Third part of my speech.

I will skip the first two parts of my talk and go directly to the last part; "If Things Don't Work Out, There Is Still HOPE."

I have used mnemonics in my talks to make the lessons I want to share very easy to remember.

In my last public speaking gig, HOPE is defined as:

  • H - have a HEALTHY ATTITUDE
  • O - consider other OPPORTUNITIES 
  • P - PERSEVERE
  • E - ENJOY the moment
These are the things which I need to learn again and which undergoing any trial need to consider. It may be easier said than done; but, hey, we got to start somewhere.